The Beginning...

   Well, here I am, at another step in my Doll House adventures.  Bear with me while I explain a little:

   When I was 8 or 9, in the early 1960's, I was diagnosed with what we now call Type I Diabetes.  Insulin was easily accessible and fairly inexpensive, so I spent 3 weeks in the hospital and came home much healthier then when I went in.  My Grandmother believed I wouldn't live long since everyone she knew with the disease died young.  She thought I deserved an adventure, so off we went on the train to Washington, DC.  I remember thinking the Mayflower hotel was much better than the hospital, and she felt privileged staying there when the taxi driver told her there were tunnels over to the White House so the President could walk over!


   The first day we went to the museum, and the first and only thing I remember seeing is Faith Bradford's Doll House.  I was mesmerized!  She kept telling me to 'Come see some other wonderful things' but I wouldn't leave it.  Finally, she got me to come away by telling me she had some little things at home in the attic, and we would get them out when we got home.  Better yet, we found the gift shop and there was a black and white pamphlet with lots of photos, and even a story about the dolls who lived in the house.





  Oh my golly, that photo of Alice looking at her cat in the window has remained in my brain for 50 plus years.



   From then until now I have collected doll house furniture.  From the attic to the Lillian Vernon catalog, then to the Lucy Evelyn dollhouse store on Long Beach Island in New Jersey until I discovered antique doll houses and furniture.  I am a quilter, and buy antique quilts.  One day in an antique store there was a little wicker baby carriage; the one next to Alice in her bedroom.  I was stunned!  Alice's carriage! I bought it, brought it home, put it in a big box all by itself, labeled the box 'For Faith Bradford', and the quest was on!


   This is what the boxes look like now...




   And there isn't just one wicker stroller...





 ...there are three!   None of them are a perfect match, so I will call the one on the right good enough, or rework the one on the far left to get a more perfect match.



    I hope you have enjoyed this introduction to my lifelong fascination with America's Doll House.  

    I will return soon to tell you how I decided to recreate the Bradford house, and show you my first Bradford house! 

ETA:  All of the photos of the house and Alice are courtesy of The Smithsonian publications.

Comments

  1. You passed on your love of miniatures to me! Maybe it's in our blood...I am so glad you are still intrigued by dollhouses. I'm hoping to build one next winter. Of course it won't be anything like Mark's skills but I"m looking forward to getting back into the hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a blog post about the Faith Bradford house a few years ago after I was able to visit it.
    Its a great house with a great history!
    https://tulsatinystuff.blogspot.com/2016/07/recent-acquisitions.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well all the strollers or carriages are outstanding, but the one on the right is so perfectly wonderful. Enjoyed seeing these little beauties. That's one big dollhouse. Are you building that beast yourself? Happy day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you are thinking about The House- I read all the posts, and need lots of helpful encouragement from all!

Popular posts from this blog

How Time Flies

Bradford and Strombecker still moving along!!

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas!