Good Enough, Exact, or Better?

Of course, 'Better' in whose eyes?

I've put some place holders in, like Alice's vanity- I'll switch it out when the real thing comes along.




See the chair to the left of the door?  It is pink and has a flower on it, but other than the finish it is the Exact chair. I could strip it down, but I think that is a bit risky.  Since it matches the room well enough, I am designating it Good Enough.

My Alice's bed is an altered unfinished TynieToy and was going to be Good Enough.  The other day I recognized on page 113 of Zillner and Cooper's Antique and Collectible Dollhouses and Their Furnishings a red-stained bed that is a perfect shape match to the original Alice - so now my Alice's bed has dropped to a Place Holder.  Of course, if I can find the red-stained bed it would need to be painted and perhaps shortened, which opens an entirely different can of worms.

I do have some Exact pieces, and have relied on friends and dealers to help identify and find examples. I have only ever seen the little blue bedside table in this room. 

Image result for faith bradford sewing room

Eureka!  Patty has not only seen one, she had an extra she sent- and it is Exact!



Image result for faith bradford sewing room


How about the treadle machine in the sewing room?  Faith used the penny toy version, soft metal and small.  I have a  beat up one-

I also have a newer and more robust model-


I don't have the right chair yet, so I will ponder this until the Exact chair shows up.  At the moment, I like the newer model better.  Is it presumptuous to think I can do better than Faith did?  Philosophically, yes, since I am trying to make a replica.  

Hence the Renwal plastic chair at Mr. Doll's desk-




Comments

  1. I think you are doing a great job on this. I am a big adherent of the "same look and feel" school of thought when recreating scenes. Your "good enough" pieces look just fine to me, but kudos to you for tracking down some of the more esoteric elements of these rooms. I definitely would not strip down the chair. Frankly, I think it looks better than the plain wood and really fits the room. Have you ever considered making something when you can't find exactly what you need? The blue end table was a fabulous find, but it also strikes me as something that might have been fairly simple to make, if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Deborah! Everything looks so good and I like the pink chair with flowers better than
    the stripped on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you are thinking about The House- I read all the posts, and need lots of helpful encouragement from all!

Popular posts from this blog

How Time Flies

Bradford and Strombecker still moving along!!

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas!